Thursday, October 20, 2005

Fall in Smicksburg, PA




J and I drove out to Smicksburg for their Fall Festival a few weekends ago. I use to go there when I'd visit PA in the fall and attend the Sheep to Shawl competition at The Weaver. One year they paid me to photograph the event. It was WONDERFUL! But, The Weaver closed....So, I was expecting just a nice day in the woods with my Dear Husband! We started going in the little shops looking around and lo and behold, The Weaver was open under a different name! I bought 6 ounces of wonderful white roving of an unknown type. But, it's soft and spins beautifully! I asked about large hand carders and the woman offered me a slightly used pair from classes they teach there for $30. Well, I was all over that!! When she had to go ask the manager, the price jumped to $58!! For that I could buy a new pair! Oh well.. My shetland fleece is just going to have to wait or be carded with the little flicker brushes I have here...
But, it was a wonderful day with perfect weather! No sweating and misery like Florida craft shows..
The fall foliage photos are the mountain that I see from my front door. The fall leaves are phenomenal this year!
Namaste!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jillian, I just happened upon your blog. I find it amazing that you would mention "The Weaver". I used to knit for them back in the early 80's.Kathy Schwietz was the girls name. I no longer live in Pa. Punxsutawney to be exact. What is the name of the business now and where are they located? Angie

Anonymous said...

You know, I think it's still called The Weaver! It still looks just the old store. It IS the same store.. same building.. set up the same....Funny thing, I was going through some old papers and I found a thank you from Kathy from the photo shoot I did of the sheep to shawl one year. Happy serendipity that!
Jill